RV / Motor Home Insurance

The open road is calling. Whether you are heading to the coast or traveling the Great Plains, be prepared with insurance coverage for your motorhome. What motorhome or RV insurance is right for you? The answer depends on the type of RV you own.

RV and Motorhome Types

  • Class A Motorhomes: largest RVs on the road – a home on wheels
  • Class B Motorhomes: The small RVs – a van with amenities
  • Class C Motorhomes: Midsize models, sometimes called mini-motorhomes
  • Motorhome Bus Conversion: A bus converted to an RV
  • Travel Trailers: Towable motorhomes typically attached by trailer hitch
  • Fifth Wheels: Towable motorhomes attached to a truck with a fifth wheel hitch
  • Truck Campers: Add-on campers attached to a truck bed

What Does RV Insurance Cover?
RV insurance (also known as motor home insurance) is very similar to and covers the same things as automobile insurance.  When you are preparing to buy an RV insurance policy, the types of insurance and amounts you need should be based on how you use your motor home. If the vehicle serves as your residence full time, you will need greater coverage than if you only occasionally use it for a trip or two during the summer. For example, as a full-timer, you will need liability coverage that is similar to your homeowners insurance to cover you if someone is injured on your “property” (which in this case is on wheels).

Full-timers who keep all of their belongings in their motor home should also consider personal property coverage. Just as you would want your home policy to include coverage for your belongings, valuables, jewelry and collectibles, your RV insurance policy should include that too.  If you only use the RV seasonally, you will need to consider how to insure it when it is not in use. How you store your motor home will make a difference for your insurance needs, depending on the climate, weather hazards, and risk of theft and vandalism where you live.

How Much Does RV Insurance Cost?
Your motorhome insurance cost will depend on the type of coverage you buy and your state requirements. There are other factors to consider as well, such as:

  • Where you travel: A full-timer will need a more in-depth coverage plan than a recreational motorist. It also matters how far you travel and what regions you will be in. Areas with more risk will need additional protections.
  • The type of RV you own: The type of motor home you are driving will make a difference for your coverage. A truck camper or travel trailer does not have many amenities and is usually cheaper to repair or replace after an accident than a higher value Class A motor home.
  • Your driving record: Your history as a driver is important. It tells an insurance company whether you are a risk-taker or more cautious. Drivers with a history of traffic tickets and accidents are often considered higher-risk, and will therefore typically pay higher premiums.

Article from Trusted Choice

To receive a quote, fill out our Quote Form on the right.