spacer   spacer
Brownell Insurance Center, Inc.
5 Nashua Road, Londonderry, NH 03053  ~  603.437.1992
860 Lafayette Road, Unit 2, Hampton, NH 03842  ~  603.296.0077

Facebook      LinkedIn      
Derry Auto Insurance l Derry Homeowners Insurance l Derry Health Insurancespacer

PersonalspacerCommercialspacerHealthspacerDelta DentalspacerBrownell AdvantagespacerAflacspacerLegalShieldspacer

We are your local Insurance Agents serving Derry, Londonderry, Chester, Hudson, Windham, Auburn, Hampton, North Hampton, Rye, Seabrook, Greenland NH and their surrounding communities for over 28 years!

Trusted Professionals

For Email Marketing you can trust
Voted #1 Insurance Agency



New Hampshire / Maine Homeowners Insurance

Complete Insurance Protection for Your Home
Your home is one of your most important and largest investments. Brownell Insurance Center will help you to secure comprehensive coverage tailored to your individual home and possessions. Our companies offer quality, basic coverage with many standard features, plus a full array of coverage options to enhance your protection.

Some background information
Homeowners insurance is basically designed to bring your home and possessions back to the same condition they were in before a loss occurred. There are several different types of homeowners policies offered by a wide variety of insurance companies and not all coverages are the same. We can help you with your specific coverage needs.
While reading through the information below, you should keep in mind a couple definitions: (a) Exclusions are situations where your policy does not provide coverage; and (b) Liability is something for which you are legally responsible.

Homeowners Policy Protects:
  • Your Home - Replacement cost coverage to replace your home after a covered loss.
  • Detached Structures, such as a garage or shed.
  • Personal Belongings, including furniture, clothing, appliances and much more.
  • Loss of Use, for living expenses, when the home is damaged and uninhabitable due to a covered loss.
  • Personal Liability, which protects you and your family against a claim or lawsuit if someone is injured or their property is damaged while at your home.

Other Coverage Options To Consider:

  • Contents Replacement. Provides full replacement cost for personal belongings without any depreciation.
  • Additional Replacement Cost Protection. Provides the extra insurance money you might need to rebuild your house if your home costs more to replace than it is insured for.
  • Personal Injury. Protects you against libel and slander lawsuits.
  • Identity Theft Protection. Provides assistance from a consumer fraud specialist and covers expenses related to restoring your good name and financial reputation.
  • Valuable Items Endorsement. Provides a blanket of coverage that covers more than what a basic Homeowners policy provides. It is the right coverage for people who own valuable possessions such as jewelry, artwork cameras and computers.
  • Personal Articles Floater. Provides even more comprehensive coverage that the Valuables Items endorsement. It is the right coverage for people who wish to schedule individual items that have been carefully selected and whose values exceed the limits of either their Homeowners policy or Valuable Items endorsement.
  • Umbrella Policy. Offers an additional $1 million to $5 million of liability protection in case you are sued.
  • Flood Coverage. Flood damage is typically not covered under a homeowners policy. This affordable coverage covers damage to your property and provides cleanup reimbursement.
  • Pleasure Boat Insurance for small watercrafts can be added to your homeowners policy.

Get Maximum Value with Competitive Pricing and Money-Saving Discounts

Brownell Insurance Center has many homeowner companies which are competitively priced. Our companies offer great value with many money-saving discounts:*

  • New or renovated home discount
  • Multi-policy discount when you insure both your auto and home with the same company
  • Claim free discount
  • Security discounts for homes equipped with:
    • Smoke detectors
    • Dead bolts
    • Fire extinguishers or alarm systems

More information on homeowners insurance:

Dwelling (referred to as Coverage A in the policy)
Imagine your house on moving day... empty, waiting to be filled. This is the part referred to as Coverage A: your physical home (rooms, fireplaces, tile floors, carpeting, etc.) and the structures attached to it, such as an attached garage.
The amount of coverage assigned to your dwelling should reflect the amount it would cost to completely repair or rebuild your home should it suffer a covered loss.  However, if it's been a while since you last updated your policy coverage or if you are not sure that your dwelling is adequately covered, ask us to do a new home evaluation for you.
Other structures (Coverage B)
Not all structures that exist on your property are actually attached to your house. Therefore, Coverage B offers insurance protection for other structures such as a detached garage, gazebo, fencing or storage shed.
Personal property (Coverage C)
Your personal possessions such as furniture, clothing and appliances are covered. Certain types of possessions are excluded or have limited coverage.
Loss of use (Coverage D)
The coverage is also called Additional Living Expense. Essentially, this pays for your housing and other living expenses (like meals and laundry) if a major covered loss makes your house uninhabitable and you have to move out temporarily while it's being repaired.
Covered perils
A homeowners insurance policy
provides protection from the following perils:

  • fire or lightning
  • windstorm or hail
  • explosion
  • aircraft
  • vehicles
  • riot or civil commotion
  • smoke
  • theft
  • vandalism/malicious mischief
  • glass breakage
  • volcanic eruption.

Some policies also provide coverage for:

  • falling objects
  • weight of ice, snow or sleet
  • freezing of plumbing
  • accidental plumbing discharge
  • rupture of steam or hot water heating system, air conditioning systems, or water heaters
  • damage from artificially generated electricity.

A homeowners policy does not provide coverage for the following perils:

  • loss due to flood, or water that backs up through sewers
  • loss to building by earthquake, aftershocks and mud slides
  • loss by enforcement law or ordinance regulating construction, repair or demolition, or zoning
  • loss due to power interruption when the interruption takes place off the residence property
  • loss due to neglect of the insured to save and preserve property following a loss
  • war and nuclear perils
  • intentional loss.

Limits of liability
For basic homeowners policies, a specific minimum amount of coverage is required for each of the major property coverages, based on the primary amount of insurance selected.

  • Coverage A (Dwelling) = Primary limit
  • Coverage B (Other Structures) = 10% of Coverage A limit
  • Coverage C (Personal Property) = 50% of Coverage A limit
  • Coverage D (Loss of use) = 20% of Coverage A limit.

For example, if your home is insured for $100,000 under Coverage A:

  • Coverage B liability limit is $10,000
  • Coverage C is $50,000
  • Coverage D is $20,000.

With a homeowners policy, a deductible applies to the property portion of the policy. A deductible is the amount you would have to pay out of your own pocket before the insurance coverage kicks in. Typical deductibles are $250, $500, $1000 or higher and some policies have several deductibles. The higher the deductible you select, the lower your premium payment is.

Optional coverages
There are a number of optional coverages (also called endorsements) which enhance your basic homeowners policy either by adding or removing certain coverages. Some of the more common add-on coverages include:

  • Broadened coverage for contents: provides "all-risk" protection for your possessions. This means that your personal property is covered in most situations, regardless of the cause of loss.
  • Contents replacement cost coverage: after a loss, you would be paid based on the replacement cost...with no deduction for depreciation... subject to your policy limits and deductible. Special limits apply to certain items such as jewelry, watches and furs.
  • Valuable Items: provides higher limits and worldwide protection for special property such as jewelry, silverware, fine art, furs, cameras, firearms, musical instruments, and home computers for an extended variety of losses.
  • Additional Coverage Endorsement (ACE): extends protection or increases limits on special types of property (for example: jewelry, firearms, or silverware). This coverage also increases personal liability coverage by $100,000 and includes coverage for personal injury.
  • Water back up of sewers or drains: you're covered for a specific dollar amount if water backs up through a sewer or drain, or overflows from a sump pump.

Personal property exclusions and limits of coverage
Certain classes of property are specifically excluded from coverage because of the nature of what they are or because they are generally covered by other types of policies:

  • Animals, birds or fish
  • motorized vehicles or aircraft, including equipment and accessories
  • radios, CB radios, tape decks, etc., while in or on a motor vehicle
  • articles separately described and specifically insured in any other insurance
  • property of boarders (renters insurance is available and should be considered by boarders).
  • aircraft or aircraft parts
  • property in an apartment held for rental by the insured
  • property rented to others off the residential premises.

Certain classes of property have specialized limits of coverage:

  • money or related property, coins and precious metals other than tableware
  • securities, manuscripts, and other valuable property
  • water craft, including trailers and equipment
  • trailers
  • grave markers
  • loss by theft of jewelry, watches, furs and semi-precious stones
  • loss by theft of firearms
  • loss by theft of silverware, goldware or pewterware
  • property on the residence premises used for business purposes
  • property away from residence premises used for business purposes.

There are several endorsements or separate policies that cover personal property items for higher limits of coverage. For example, Home Business Protection provides expanded protection for home office equipment and additional protection for home-based businesses. A Valuable Items policy may be needed to protect your jewelry, furs or other treasured possessions.

Personal liability (Coverage E)
Provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage for which you are legally responsible. For example, let's say your dog bites someone, a guest falls down your front stairs, or your son throws a ball through your neighbor's window. You are legally responsible for these actions. Personal Liability helps to cover the associated costs of these related damages.
Most homeowner policies provide a minimum of $100,000 of liability protection. However, you can opt to increase this amount to $300,000 or $500,000. Also available is an Umbrella policy that can provide a million plus for your liability that you can be sued for.
Medical payments (Coverage F)
Pays all reasonable and necessary medical expenses for a period of three years from the date of an accident to a person or persons injured while on your property. This coverage does not apply to the insured or regular residents of the insured's household.
Bodily injury
Accidents do happen...and sometimes they happen to other people while at your home, or by a member of your household. This coverage helps to pay for the expenses created in the event that a physical injury to others is caused by you, residents of your household, or your pets.
Property damage
If someone's property is accidentally damaged by you, members of your household, or your pets, your homeowners policy will help to repair or replace it.
Liability coverage exclusions
A homeowners policy does not provide coverage for:

  • bodily injury or property damage which is expected or intended by the insured
  • bodily injury or property damage arising out of business pursuits
  • bodily injury or property damage arising out of rental of any part of the premises
  • liability arising out of ownership, maintenance, use, loading or unloading of aircraft, motor vehicles or water craft
  • liability arising out of war or insurrection.

Additional exclusions to Coverage E only:

  • liability assumed under contract or agreement
  • property damage to property owned by, used by or in the care of the insured
  • bodily injury which is covered under a Workers Compensation policy.

Umbrella or excess liability coverage

Umbrella or excess liability coverage provides liability coverage over and above what's covered by your auto, homeowners or other policy for personal liability and lawsuits. Such coverage can be purchased as an attachment to your policy or as a separate policy.

This material is for informational purposes only. All statements herein are subject to the provisions, exclusions and conditions of the applicable policy. For an actual description of all coverages, terms and conditions, refer to the insurance policy. Coverages are subject to individual insureds meeting underwriting qualifications.

For more information or to receive a quote, fill out our Homeowners Insurance Quote Form



Brownell Insurance Center, Inc. • 5 Nashua Road, Londonderry, NH 03053
Phone: 603.437.1992 • Fax: 603.437.4846 •


Hampton Office • 860 Lafayette Road, Unit 2, Hampton, NH 03842
Phone: 603.296.0077 • Fax: 603.296.0079

Home l Auto Insurance l Car Insurance l Homeowners Insurance l Business Insurance l Renters Insurance l Condo Insurance l Life Insurance
Health Insurance l Motorcycle Insurance l Boat/Yacht Insurance l Wedding Insurance l Financial Services l Insurance Resources
Our Insurance Carriers
l Aflac l About Us l Newsletter l Contact Us l Privacy Policy l Web Site Disclaimer l The Brownell Advantage Program

We are an Insurance Agency serving towns in New Hampshire and Maine including Londonderry 03053, Derry 03038, Chester 03036,
Hudson 03051, Windham 03087, Auburn 03032, Hampton 03842, North Hampton 03862, Rye 03870, Seabrook 03874, Greenland 03840
and their surrounding communities for over 25 years!

copyright © 2015 Brownell Insurance Center, Inc. Londonderry, NH All Rights Reserved
Website design by Fox Run Designs

Hampton NH Trusted Professionals Londonderry NH Trusted Professionals